You often hear statements like “millions of people practice it around the world”. And that there are “hundreds of scientific research studies on its benefits”. But what is the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique, really?
Transcendental Meditation: suitable for a modern lifestyle
The Transcendental Meditation technique is a very natural and effortless way of letting your mind settle down into an extremely calm state of rest. It produces the best effects with regular practice of 20 minutes twice a day.
To meditate, all you have to do is sit comfortably in a chair with your eyes closed and practice the technique.
What benefits will practicing meditation will give you
As said earlier, doing TM regularly will make your mind-body system naturally more relaxed. It will make it CALM as it has a well-proven effect of letting your nervous system settle into a state of deep rest. This will automatically turn the notch down on your level of stress.
And as you feel more and more at ease in your skin, and stop fretting about all those innumerable projects and life’s minor problems, everything else clicks into place, too. That’s why TM is proven to have a positive impact on your blood pressure, immune system, eating habits, good night’s sleep.
A nice, healthy state of impassionate vegetation? Nope. While making you calm, TM practice will also make you more ENERGETIC and EFFICIENT.
As the dust of our daily neurosis settles, our mind will naturally become more open, clear, and insightful. With TM, artists will become more creative, students more able and discerning, businessmen will make smarter decisions and athletes reach their full potential. You can go through hundreds of such testimonials and stories.
There’s nothing mystical, religious, or magical about this process, however; the wisdom of our mind simply manifests itself when given a chance.
How is Transcendental Meditation different from other meditation techniques?
As different sports strengthen specific muscles and produce different overall effects in the body, so does focusing on candlelight, repeating mantras or trying to observe one’s mental content result in different outcomes.
However, TM seems to turn on the entire brain and make it function as a holistic unit. This is a common feature of those people who report peak performances in business, art or sports.
Another peculiar feature of the TM technique is that there is no difference between the brainwaves of experts and beginners — one masters it quickly. In fact, the positive effects of the practice are usually apparent already from the very first TM session.
Based on an ancient time-tested tradition of knowledge
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the great teacher from India, who introduced the TM technique to the world, said: “the practitioner experiences the finer states of that thought–until the source of thought is fathomed and the conscious mind reaches the transcendental area of being.”
Will it work for me?
Transcendental Meditation works for everybody, whether or not you believe it will work. In fact, you can be quite skeptical, and it will still work for you.
Even if your mind is constantly filled with thoughts, the technique is so natural that it allows the mind to settle down easily and effortlessly.
People of all ages and all backgrounds have learned this meditation technique. Over the years, over 6 million people have practiced Transcendental Meditation. Because the mind is common to everyone, the technique can create deep rest in the practitioner by allowing the mind to settle down.
600 scientific studies support the benefits of Transcendental Meditation
Over the decades, established scientific journals have published research studies on the benefits of Transcendental Meditation. This has shown that meditation improves the mind, body, behavior, and the effects of group meditation.
How to learn meditation?
As you can see, though, the technique itself is easy to enjoy and practice after you’ve learned it. But because every person is different, it is necessary to learn from a qualified teacher personally. This takes place in 4 consecutive sessions over four days.
There are teachers in hundreds of cities throughout the world who regularly give free introductory talks on the technique.
Click here to find a Transcendental Meditation Teacher near you
How much does it cost?
The fee for learning TM varies across countries for the 4-day course. For example, in the U.S. you can take the course for a few hundred dollars on a scale related to income – with paying schedules available.
It’s the lifetime value that counts: Buying a brand-new Ferrari for a couple of grand would be a good deal, right?
For further reading
- As the wise old Chinese saying goes, images are often worth thousands of words. So here is a post made up of ten photos that best sum up the story we’ve been trying to weave on this page 🙂 look and see for yourself!
- Scientific research in meditation is an ongoing process. This page will give you all the most important studies and cutting-edge results. From health issues such as addiction, heart disease, and multiple sclerosis to various skills and experiences (Does meditating raise your IQ? How can “transcendental experiences” and “higher states of consciousness” be measured?)
- Who are the people among the millions of TM practitioners whom you already know? Perhaps not personally, but having seen them on the screen or on the stage, or strutting around in fancy suits in the annual World Economic Forum in Davos? A continually updated list of TM celebrities, from A to Z.
- A handpicked selection of the ten most useful books about TM. From scientific research to first-hand accounts, from basic introductions to pointers on the road toward more advanced levels.
- The David Lynch Foundation: offers scholarships for learning TM to inner-city schools, veterans of war, people in the HIV / AIDS community.